Task: My task was to create a mobile app concept for Doddle, and map out the possible user journeys for MVP and the future.
- Kick off: We held a kick off meeting with Doddle board members to understand the business, values, target customers, business plan and ambitions. We also communicated our initial thoughts.
- User research: We started with interviews in Milton Keynes railway station (where Doddle had just opened the 1st shop). We interviewed 10 existing and potential customers (commuters) about how they currently use delivery services, their pain points and wishes, also asking their opinions about Doddle. We also went to the Doddle shop to learn the whole collect and send parcel process from staff. I video recorded all interviews. From the research, we gained valuable insights of customer needs and had a deeper understanding of Doddle as a business, both advantages and constrains.
- Ideation: We had a few ideation sessions internally, for concept, functionality, and key screen design.
- My deliverables:
– Customer experience map: This wasn’t a deliverable to client, but it was very valuable for us internally to understand all the touch points and parties involved in each journey, and customer pain points.
– High-level user journey: Based on the outcome of our ideation sessions, I put our ideas into a high-level user journey, captured every step of ‘collect’ and ‘send’ journeys, including ‘before’ ‘during’ and ‘after’.
– Wireframes: For this discovery project, wireframes were not a deliverable to client, but they were essential for visual designers to design key screens which were included in the final presentation. The wireframes were created from sketch, then in Omnigraffle. I also tested them using paper and click-through prototype (I used ‘Pop’ for this).
Results: Doddle was very excited when seeing our concept and vision for the mobile app, and commissioned us to develop an MVP app straight away for launching in 6 weeks.